Fire Prevention Advice from Sussex Police


The festive period is an opportunity to spend more time at home with your family, friends and pets.
Making your home all cosy with a log fire, candles and fairy lights on the tree is the perfect way to enjoy the season.
Stay safe and sound in your home this Christmas and don’t increase the risk of fire.
Here are some top tips….
Check your Christmas tree lights conform to the British Standard and are in good working order.
Always switch off and unplug Christmas lights before you go to bed or go out.
Don’t overload sockets – whilst it’s tempting to put up just one more strand of Christmas lights, overloaded sockets can be a big fire risk.
Check your smoke alarms. If they don’t work, or you don’t have one, treat yourself, it could be the best Christmas present you’ve ever bought as it could save your life in a fire.
Never leave candles burning unattended.
Keep candles, lighters and matches out of the reach of children.
Decorations can burn easily – don’t attach them to lights or heaters and don’t hang them close to candles.
Have fun and Seasons greetings.

Help us keep Sussex safe

Seen something suspicious or have information about a crime or incident? Please contact us online, email us at or call 101.

Alternatively you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111, or online at